Participant Responsibilities & Requirements
Good Foot is no longer accepting applicants for our In, Up & Out Employment and Training Program. Stay tuned for a new program in our future in early 2023!
About the role
Participants in the In, Up, & Out program receive training, develop skills and gain work experience over a 6-8 month period. Combined with in-class learning, hands on training, and paid job experience as a Courier, participants build a foundation for success in the workplace.
Each participant is paid $15.00 per hour while training or working.
During the initial training portion of the program (“In”), participants learn about how to interact with customers, how to use different applications and how to route deliveries based on taking the most efficient route using Google Maps. This training is completed at that participants own pace, while working one on one with a Training Facilitator.
Once the initial training portion of the program is complete, successful program participants work independently as a Courier for a limited timeframe (approximately 3-4 months). This includes independently travelling all through out Toronto on the TTC, speaking with the customer on their own, carrying all of their orders on their own from the pick up address to the drop off address, as well as selecting the best route to pick up and drop off these orders, along with other responsibilities.
Courier work is often done outside, in all types of weather, therefore program participants must be comfortable working outside even in snow storms, or hot and humid days.
Couriers are responsible for distributing packages and documents for institutions, businesses, government agencies, and individuals. Couriers are responsible for independently picking up and delivering different packages to a specific destination within Good Foot’s guaranteed delivery time.
The orders assigned to participants would be random, and packages can be of various weight and size, sometimes weighing up to 20 lbs. Program participants carry these packages on their own without assistance from others.
After working as a Courier and gaining skills and confidence, participants have an opportunity for more experience, with support from Good Foot, through short term placements at local businesses.
Participants are expected to be on time, to attend training sessions and work shifts and to try their best.
- Identifies as autistic
- Is legally entitled to work in Canada
- Is not eligible for assistance under Employment Insurance (EI) benefits or any similar program
- Is able to commit to the program for a minimum of 5 hours/day, 3 days a week, Monday – Friday, 9:00 am – 5:00 pm, totaling 18 hours per week of availability
- Lives within the Toronto region
- Is able to travel independently on the TTC
- Works well in a group environment
- Is able to use a smartphone and different kinds of applications or apps such as Google Maps
- Is able to communicate using email, phone and text messages
- Willing to work outside in all weather conditions including rain, snow, -20 to 30+ degree weather
- Is able to carry up to 20 lbs. for short distances
- Is comfortable independently talking with a variety of different people
- Is fully vaccinated and comfortable with wearing a mask during program participation
Duties & Responsibilities
Here are some of the duties of a Good Foot In, Up & Out Program Participant, once in Phase 2 (“Up”) of the program:
- Independently pick up packages from customer’s (offices, businesses or homes) and deliver them to final destinations within Toronto and surrounding area
- Independently navigate around Toronto using the TTC
- Troubleshoot delivery issues with our Dispatch team
- Receive orders via a smartphone
- Provide updates to the status of your orders via our internal delivery application
- Obtain signatures from customers
- Record information, such as items received and delivered and recipients’ responses to messages
- Plan and follow the most efficient routes for delivering items
- Interact and talk with customers at the pick up and drop off addresses
- Perform duties in a safe, reliable and professional manner
Questions? Email email@example.com